What pictures come to your mind when you’re thinking about Norway? Fjords, mountains, watefalls, glaciers, lakes and mesmerizing nature? Guess what? There is one place in Western Norway that looks like a picture from a fairytale book. And you can elope here! Keep reading if you want to know more about this adventure elopement in Loen.
Elopement day in Loen filled with adventures and lots of fun
Diana and Alex booked me for their elopement in Western Norway, and we initially agreed on a place called Aurland. Halfway in the planning and research process, Diana reached out to me and told me that after looking at different places, they instantly fell in love with Loen and didn’t want to miss it for the world. – Let’s go to Loen then, I said. You’re planning your dream elopement day, so let’s make these dreams come true!
The reason they decided to move their elopement in Loen area was the easy access to so many stunning places! They rented a cozy airb’n’b near Oldevatnet, a picturesque blue-green glacier lake near Loen/Stryn area. And here I met them on the morning of their elopement day while they were getting ready.
Exploring the best locations of Loen and Oldedalen
Although they decided to get ready in the same cabin, they chose not to see each other in their wedding attire before both of them were ready. Diana hid her headpiece under a pillowcase, and Alex had to close his eyes when she helped him with his hair. Such a sweet and cozy morning together!
When everything was ready, they had a first look right outside of their airb’n’b. And they didn’t need to go far for a great view! Surrounded by giant mountains, glacier and waterfalls in the background, it was the perfect place to see each other in the wedding attire for the first time. After the first look, they grabbed some beers, bananas, water and comfortable shoes and went on exploring the amazing surroundings.
Although elopement timelines tend to be very relaxed and flexible, it’s always nice to split the day into different parts. Some activities are usually time-dependent, while others – not. For their elopement ceremony we went to the lake Lovatnet, which was one of the main reasons Diana and Alex chose Loen for their elopement day. With the view of this gorgeous blue lake, glacier and high mountains, they committed their lives to one another.
Loen skylift and a romantic boat tour
“From fjord to sky in 5” is the motto of Loen Skylift. And when you have such a great way to get high up in the mountains without any struggle whatsoever, why not to use it? After 5 minutes in the cable car, we arrived at the mountaintop Hoven. Here we greeted some sheeps before we went on enjoying the great views of the lake Lovatnet and the Nordfjord. It is possible to hike further up in the mountains, but we decided that windy conditions were too crazy for that.
Bride and groom grabbed some snacks before we headed to the last location of the day. Diana mentioned that both of them enjoy kayaking, and said it would be fun to row a boat. It turned out, the owner of their airb’n’b had a rowing boat on the lake Oldevatnet, and we could use it for the photos and some fun. Initially, the bride and groom planned to drink some sparkling wine after the ceremony. However, they didn’t find a liquor store and bought some beers instead. They took the beers in the boat and did a spontaneous beer spray on the lake.
When the boat ride was over, Alex looked at the lake and said: “You can’t NOT swim in a place like that, right”? So true, so true!.. And so he jumped! When he realized how cold this beautiful water was, it was super fun watching him swim out of this glacier lake! It was such a great elopement day filled with a perfect combination of fun and romance!
Example of a timeline for your elopement in Loen
I love building elopement timelines based on my couples’ preferences, season of the year, location and available activites at this specific place. Every elopement is a unique experience and the timeline is tailored for each couple! I typically follow my couples on their elopement day for 8-12 hours (and sometimes for 1,5 day or even the whole weekend). It’s a once in a lifetime experience, and you want to make sure you’ll remember every detail of it!
Here is an example of what a full day elopement in Loen can look like:
- Before 11.00 – spend your morning just the way you want to! Sleep long, have a brunch together, take a bath together and enjoy your time! Or go for a walk – anything, really! If you didn’t write your vows in a vow book yet (or at least on a piece of nice paper), that’s the perfect timing for that!
- 11.00-13.00 – Bride and groom getting ready in the airbnb/hotel/lodge. Do it separately or help each other – totally up to you!
- 13.00-13.30 – First look outside of the airbnb
- 13.30-14.00 – Portraits by the waterfall
- 14.00-14.30 – Drive from the waterfall to Lovatnet lake
- 14.30-15.00 – Elopement ceremony by the lake Lovatnet
- 15.00-16.00 – Explore the lake and photos around there
- 16.00-16.30 – Drive from Lovatnet to Loen skylift + take the cable car up in the mountains
- 16.30-17.30 – Time on the mountaintop: small hike, champagne pop + snacks
- 17.30-19.00 – Drive to Oldevatnet lake
- 19.00-19.30 – Row the boat on the lake (or rent SUP-boards and paddle – anything that makes you excited!)
- 19.30-20.00 – Jump in the lake and have fun! (Dipping toes in the water is another option)
- 20.00-20.30 – Dry up and then change back to your wedding attire or other clothes (outside or in your airbnb)
- 20.30-21.00 – Drive to Loen/Stryn
- 21.00 and onwards – Dinner and drinks at a fine restaurant in Loen/Stryn area (or skip it and have a barbeque dinner at your airbnb while watching the sky getting dark, daydreaming and stargazing together)